In a world increasingly focused on sustainability, the Existing Building Commissioning (EBCx) program by Save on Energy emerges as a paramount initiative in Ontario for commercial and institutional buildings aiming to optimize their energy efficiency. This program is not only a gateway to reducing energy wastage and operational costs but also an avenue for enhancing occupant comfort and boosting profitability. Through the EBCx program, building stakeholders can significantly tune up their building’s energy performance, thereby elevating its market value. Moreover, with the expert guidance from organizations like Daisy Energy, navigating the intricacies of the EBCx program becomes a seamless endeavor.
Is the EBCx Program Tailored for Your Organization?
To be eligible for the EBCx program, it’s imperative that you are the owner, operator, or manager of a commercial or institutional building. The prerequisites include:
- A minimum of 12 months of consecutive energy data.
- An annual energy consumption of at least 750,000 kWh, excluding energy utilized by industrial and manufacturing processes.
- Adherence to baseline models that meet the stipulated standards.
Moreover, your facilities should not have undergone a commissioning exercise in the preceding two years, and should not be part of a building accreditation system requiring EBCx as a prerequisite.
The EBCx Program: A Deep Dive into the Measures
The EBCx program delineates a variety of measures to kickstart your energy efficiency journey. These include occupant behavioral measures, set point and scheduling optimization, air and water balancing, along with other operational, maintenance alterations, equipment repairs, and minor replacements.
Some common EBCx measures entail:
- Reducing equipment runtime
- Optimizing economizer operation
- Eliminating simultaneous heating and cooling
- Optimizing supply air temperature, and many more.
Incentivizing Energy Efficiency: What Does the EBCx Program Offer?
The program is structured to provide financial incentives encouraging commercial building proprietors to engage qualified commissioning providers for building recommissioning. The essence is to unveil potential energy conservation measures and collaboratively work to implement the recommended improvements.
The incentive structure is segmented into three pivotal phases:
- Hire a Commissioning Provider (CP) to evaluate your facility, draft a report and a commissioning plan.
- Receive up to $0.06 per square foot of the building area, capped at $50,000 per facility or 75% of the costs incurred.
- Execute the energy-efficiency measures outlined in the commissioning plan.
- Receive an incentive of $0.03 per kWh of validated persisting energy savings, capped at 30% of the facility’s annual electricity consumption or $50,000, whichever is lower.
- Obtain training from your CP to sustain and monitor systems for one year.
- Receive an incentive of $0.03 per kWh of confirmed energy savings, adhering to the same cap as the Implementation Phase.
Reaping the Benefits: A Win-Win Situation
Participating in the EBCx program unfolds a plethora of benefits:
- Boosted Profitability and Property Value: Lower operating costs and extended equipment lifespan translate to heightened profits and property value.
- Reduced Environmental Impact: A lower carbon footprint is achievable with reduced energy use, courtesy of the expertise of commissioning providers.
- Continuous Improvement Mindset: The program instills a culture of continuous improvement, ensuring that the savings accrued are not fleeting but sustained over time.
- Enhanced Occupant Comfort: Improved indoor air quality, thermal comfort, and reduced noise are synonymous with better building management practices, promoting an amicable environment for occupants.
The EBCx program is an excellent venture for those looking to upgrade their energy management practices, save on operational costs, and contribute to a greener future. If you are a commissioning provider in Ontario, seize this opportunity to elevate your business to new horizons. The journey towards a more energy-efficient and sustainable operational model is just a click away!
Moreover, if you need personalized assistance or further insights into how the EBCx program can be tailored to meet your organization’s needs, don’t hesitate to reach out to Daisy Energy. With a wealth of experience in energy management solutions, Daisy Energy is your go-to resource for navigating the EBCx program and other energy-saving initiatives. Contact Daisy Energy today and take a giant leap towards a sustainable and energy-efficient future for your establishment.